Kuey teow th'ng is a Chinese noodle broth that is popular in both Singapore and Malaysia. Available in most coffee shops, hawker centres and stalls throughout Penang Island, the dish consists of flat rice noodles served with a clear savoury broth and a host of other ingredients, including either chicken or duck meat, fishballs and vegetables.
Due to its silky smooth noodles and clear, savoury broth, it is suitable for all, including the sick, young children and the elderly.
A typical bowl of freshly made kuey teow th'ng consists of the following ingredients.
- Smooth flat rice noodles
- Broth made of boiled chicken and pork ribs
- Sliced fish cakes
- Sliced chicken or duck meat
- Sliced pork
- Chopped spring onions
- Garlic bits
Kuey teow th'ng is a common hawker dish throughout Penang Island; this dish can be found at almost every coffee shop, hawker centre and stall. Although normally served as a breakfast dish, kuey teow th'ng is now also available for lunch and dinner.
The following are the more recommended places to sample a bowl of steaming kuey teow th'ng.
- Junction between Ngah Aboo Lane and Kimberley Street, George Town
- Opening hours : 0700 hours - 1200 hours (except Monday)
- Chicken Feet Kuey Teow Th'ng stall, Kimberley Street, George Town
- Opening hours : 1900 hours - 0000 hours
- Clarke Street, George Town
- Opening hours : 0800 hours - 1300 hours
- Cecil Street Market Hawker Centre, McNair Street, George Town
- Opening hours : 0700 hours - 1900 hours
- Pitt Street Koay Teow Th'ng, Carnavon Street, George Town
- Opening hours : 0700 hours - 1600 hours (except Monday)
- Fook Cheow Cafe, Hutton Lane, George Town
- Opening hours : 0700 hours - 1300 hours
- Air Itam Market, Paya Terubong Road, Air Itam, George Town
- Opening hours : 0430 hours - 1400 hours
- Sri Nibong Cafe, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, Bayan Baru
- Opening hours : 0630 hours - 1500 hours; 1900 hours - 2200 hours (except Monday)
- Heng Kee Lemon Koay Teow Th'ng, Lorong Mayang Paris 5, Bayan Baru
- Opening hours : 0700 hours - 1400 hours