Chee cheong fun ('pig intestine noodle' in Chinese Cantonese dialect) is actually a steamed rice roll dish that originated from Guangdong Province in southern China. The steamed rice rolls give the appearance of pig intestine, hence its name. Its popularity has spread across the numerous overseas Chinese communities worldwide, including in Singapore and Malaysia.
As with other street dishes in the region, chee cheong fun comes in a number of variations, with each being common in a particular geographical region. The Penang variant comes with its distinctive black sticky heh ko ('sweet shrimp paste' in Penang Hokkien) and thnee cheo (a type of sweet dark red sauce).
Chee cheong fun can be found in some of the hawker centres and coffee shops across Penang Island. It is usually eaten as a snack or a side dish.
What sets Penang chee cheong fun apart from the other variants in Malaysia is the combination of heh ko and thnee cheo, which gives the Penang version a sweeter taste.
Also, the Penang version has a somewhat subtle fishy flavour, due to the heh ko which is made of shrimp.
- Steamed flat rice noodles (kuey teow)
- Heh ko (sweet shrimp paste in Penang Hokkien)
- Thnee cheo (thick sweet dark red sauce)
- Sambal (a type of Malay chilli paste)
- Sesame seeds
Penang chee cheong fun is served in certain hawker centres and coffee shops across Penang Island. The following are among the more recommended places to sample Penang chee cheong fun.
- Genting Cafe, Lorong Delima 6, Green Lane, George Town
- Opening Hours : 0800 hours - 1600 hours
- Seow Fong Lye Coffee Shop, Macalister Lane, George Town
- Opening Hours : 0730 hours - 1100 hours
- Chee cheong fun stall, junction between Jalan Kuala Kangsar and Kimberley Street, George Town
- Opening Hours : 0730 hours - 1130 hours
- New Lane Hawker Centre, New Lane, George Town
- Opening Hours : 1800 hours - 2300 hours
- Batu Lanchang Hawker Centre, Batu Lanchang, George Town
- Opening Hours : 0600 hours - 1100 hours
- Sin Guat Keong Coffee Shop, junction between Kimberley Street and Cintra Street, George Town
- Opening Hours : 1800 hours - 2200 hours